Friday, October 1, 2010

Searching for Refuge

This summer my mom and I took the kids up to Minnesota’s captivating North Shore. It rained most of the time, but we still enjoyed breathtaking views of the beautiful rocky shoreline. The rain continued through our entire trip home. As we reached my mom’s house to drop her off, the rain’s intensity increased and so did my desire for the kids and I to reach our own home and our own beds.

A few minutes after leaving mom’s house the weather turned ugly. I have never driven through such a horrible storm as I did that day. I could not see even one foot in front of me as the driving rain poured down and then it began to hail. When I saw lightning flash three times on the road in front of me, I knew the kids and I needed to pray, literally, for our lives.

I searched for a place on the side of the road to pull over. I longed for some driveway or another side road where we could take refuge. If we stayed on the road and pulled over, we risked the chance of someone coming behind us and hitting us. If we turned around to go back to my parent’s house, we risked the chance of someone coming from the other direction and hitting us. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.

“We’re going to turn around. Pray!” I told the kids. With a desperate prayer, I swung the car around and started the scary journey back to my parent’s home. After fifteen long minutes that felt like hours, we arrived at our place of refuge. It felt so good to be safe in a warm, dry place.

I was reminded of this story today as I read in Psalms. Quite a few verses in the book of Psalms talk about God as our refuge.

Psalm 57:1 “…for in You my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.”
Psalm 59:16-17 “For You are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble.”
Psalm 61: 3 “For You have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe. I long to dwell in Your tent forever and take refuge in the shelter of Your wings.”

These are just a few verses that I’ve read lately, so I’m sure there are plenty more about God being our refuge. That day in the midst of a physical storm in my life, God was there, guiding my car to a safe place of refuge. When you or I are experiencing an emotional storm, He is also there. The Bible says we can take refuge in the shadow of His wings.

No matter what kind of storm you’re going through in life, take refuge in God. He wants to put His arms around you and embrace you. He wants you to take refuge in the shadow of His wings until the storm has passed. Like me on that horrible night, you may have to go through the storm first, but take heart in knowing He will be right beside you until the disaster has passed.

Scripture Reading: Psalm 57, 59 & 61

Prayer: Lord, we do not enjoy going through storms, whether they’re physical or emotional. However, we know storms are part of life here on earth. Thank you for being such a loving and caring God. Thank you for promising to be our refuge until the storm has passed. Thank you for coming along side us as we encounter storms in our lives. We will trust in You.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Gretchen, how I needed to hear these words! As I am currently hanging on for dear life in the middle of a 'life storm', your description of a physical storm and the calm of reaching your refuge was a graphic reminder to me of the calm I am able to access in the refuge of my Heavenly Father's arms. When I feel like I am on the brink of being consumed, I stop and ask Him to help me feel His presence and I imagine myself safely tucked in His embrace. He never fails to meet me there!

    ReplyDelete