Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Later is Now

It was a beautiful summer day. It was so nice out, in fact, that I decided I would start the day by going for a jog. After all, if I waited until later to exercise, it would never happen. As I tied my running shoes, my thoughts drifted to the Bible on my coffee table. I paused at the door and briefly thought about doing my devotions, but I decided I could do them when I got back.

After my jog I needed to shower, of course. Then I needed to get the kids some breakfast and start a load of laundry. I had wanted to teach the kids tennis this summer, and today was perfect tennis weather. I told the kids to grab their racquets and we headed off to the courts. When we got home it was already time to make lunch. I switched the load of clothes and my thoughts drifted back to the Bible on the table. “Later, after lunch,” I thought.

After lunch some neighbor kids rang our doorbell and asked my kids to play outside. Since the kids seemed entertained, I decided to stain another section of our deck. Before long it was time to think about supper. I came inside and walked right past my Bible, mentally putting off my devotions until bedtime.

Supper came and went, and afterward our family enjoyed a round of golf. We came home exhausted and caught the end of the Twins game. All of a sudden it was 9:30 p.m. Time to get the kids in bed. By then, I was too tired to do my devotions. I rationalized that I would get up early tomorrow.

Even though the day had been great, I felt empty inside. Something was missing. We enjoyed a fun and fairly productive day, yet it did not feel complete. I knew what was missing, so I said a quick prayer before bed, thinking that I would definitely spend the first part of my day with God tomorrow.

Later.

The next morning I walked downstairs and saw my Bible. I realized what time it was.

It was later.

Sitting down on my favorite chair, I started reading my Bible. I felt God speaking to me through His Word, soothing and comforting me. I felt centered and loved. The sad thing is that He wanted me to feel these things the day before, but I had ignored Him. He could have encouraged me and strengthened me, but I kept telling Him, “Later.”

No matter what time of day it is, if you haven’t spent time with God yet, later is now!

Scripture: Psalm 63

Prayer: Lord, I’m sorry for passing You by. I’m sorry for walking past my Bible when I should be stopping to spend time with You. I’m sorry that I’ve made other things in my life more important than my relationship with You. Please forgive me and meet me today through Your Word.

1 comment:

  1. Later we'll type up more stories and God will be in the midst of them!

    ReplyDelete