Saturday, October 2, 2010

Divine Assignments

This morning the kids and I were reading a devotional about divine assignments. (Not the 007 type, but pretty close!) There are many examples of divine assignments in the Bible. Mary’s was to give birth to the Messiah. It’s hard to top that one! Moses had the divine assignment of freeing the Israelites from slavery. These were clearly tasks ordained by God!

We started thinking about how we could be involved with God’s divine assignments. What types of divine assignments can a stay-at-home mom and two grade-school age kids, or any of us for that matter, encounter in our daily lives?

The kids had some great ideas. They could help someone at school who is hurting. They could be extra kind and include someone in their class who is not always included. My ideas were to encourage a friend or write a blog entry that could draw someone closer to Christ. We all prayed that God would show us His divine assignment for today and then the kids left for school.

I didn’t have long to wait for mine to be revealed. Soon after the kids left, a friend called. She has been going through a rough time lately and I knew my divine assignment was to encourage her. The Scripture passages I’ve been reading lately fit in perfectly with the issues she’s dealing with right now, so I shared what the Lord had shown me.

The important part of my divine assignment was that I had the tools to help my friend. There have been times in my life when I have not been in the Word and would not have been able to help her. I was thankful that I’d been reading the Bible and that God could use what He’s been showing me to help someone else.

Another friend of mine is often presented with divine assignments at her workplace. Co-workers and even clients come to her for advice and wisdom because they know her knowledge comes from the Lord. Some of her divine assignments are unexpected and take time out of her busy day, but I know that the Lord has placed her at her job so that He can use her to encourage others around her.

All of us have divine assignments. We just have to look for them and take advantage of them when they arise. If you don’t feel like you have any divine assignments, then pray that God will give you one. Read the Word daily so you have the right tools to complete the assignment. I can’t wait to find out about the divine assignments my kids had today!

Scripture: Proverbs 3:5-6

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I want You to give me divine assignments. I know I need to be in Your Word and in prayer so that I will see the assignments when You present them. I want to be ready and waiting when an assignment arises and I want to be used by You.

No comments:

Post a Comment