Monday, October 4, 2010

Ok, I get it!

Have you ever had the feeling that God was trying to tell you something? I’ve had that feeling lately.

My scripture readings over the last few days have started to develop a common theme. I’ve been reading Psalms 59-62, and I’ve been struck by the concept that God is our refuge. My last blog entry talked about God being our refuge during the storms of life. Then today I was talking to my sister-in-law who’s in charge of women’s ministries at her church in Texas. I asked her what they have going on right now and she said they’re working on a women’s retreat about refuge.

Ok, I get it! I think God wants to show me something!

To really get a handle on the fact that God wants to be our place of refuge, let’s do something together. Print off the following verses and circle every time a word relating to “refuge” is mentioned. The psalmist lists various words for refuge such as “fortress,” “rock,” “shield,” etc.

“The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”

Psalm 18:2

“O my Strength, I watch for You;
You, O God, are my fortress.”

Psalm 59:9

“But I will sing of your strength,
In the morning I will sing of your love;
For you are my fortress,
My refuge in times of trouble.
O my Strength, I sing praise to You;
You, O God, are my fortress, my loving God.”

Psalm 59:16-17

“Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
My hope comes from Him,
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will not be shaken,
My salvation and my honor depend on God;
He is my mighty rock, my refuge.
Trust Him at all times, O people;
Pour out your hearts to Him,
For God is our refuge.”

Psalm 62:5-8

Now make a list of each word you found as synonym for refuge.

Here is the list I came up with: rock, fortress, deliverer, refuge, shield, horn & strength. Do we have the same list? These words attest to a powerful God, don’t they? There’s more to discover about God and His desire to be our refuge, so let’s learn more about it together. Stay posted, and maybe we can say, “Ok, I get it” together!

Prayer: Lord, what do you have to show us through Your Word today? We read that You want to be our refuge because we see You’ve mentioned it over and over in Scripture. Please show each one of us how to apply this concept to our lives as we dig into these Bible verses.

Scripture: See above verses!

No comments:

Post a Comment