Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Little Humor


Scripture:  Proverbs 30

If you think God doesn’t have a sense of humor, I’d encourage you to reconsider! I will offer a personal episode that happened yesterday as proof.

The “episode” took place on the tennis courts in our town. I had asked a high school girl to play tennis with me and we were able to squeeze onto the courts between lessons that were going on that day. We had played for about 15 minutes when it happened. As I lunged for a backhand, the outside of my shoe caught on the court and my ankle twisted.

I fell on my butt...
Awkwardly…
In front of the tennis coaches…
In utter embarrassment.

The smart thing to do would have been to go home and elevate my foot with an ice pack firmly around my swollen ankle. But, where’s the fun in that? I’d been pumped to play tennis and so I limped around the court for another half hour.

In front of all the people who watched me fall…
Who probably thought I was nuts…
And they were most likely right!

The truth is that I get injured often and if I sat out every time I fell or hurt myself, I may never actually do anything! I guess that’s just the risk you take when you like to play sports and you’re blessed with being accident prone. 

This morning as I read my devotions I laughed inwardly, telling myself there was no way God could relate the embarrassing story from yesterday with my scripture reading. Was I ever wrong. Allow me to share the second verse of the passage I read today.

“I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense.” (Proverbs 30:2)

The author of this Proverb, a man named Agur, perfectly explained how I felt about my own episode. I felt stupid that I’d fallen in front of everyone. If misery loves company than stupidity must love it too, because I felt comfort in the fact that Agur had the same feelings as me. He goes on to say that there is only One who has mastered human wisdom. Only one God that created each one of us uniquely, even those of us who are accident prone.

If I don’t laugh at myself, then who will? Don’t answer that question! Maybe I could find a lot of people to take that spot, but the point is that it’s important not to take ourselves too seriously. God created us to have a sense of humor. He has one and so should we!

Prayer:  Dear God, thank you for the gift of laughter. Sometimes I wish it didn’t come at my expense, but I thank You all the same. J Please help me to see the humor in life even in the pain. Thank you for how You made me – You made all of us with Your great might and awesome power.

No comments:

Post a Comment