Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Green Thumb


Scripture:  Psalm 92

Yesterday I drove by the flower mart in town and I just had to stop. This is unusual for me because I do not have a green thumb. My mom, my sister and my aunts maintain beautiful greenery, but somehow I missed out on that gene. Once someone gave me a vine and told me vines were virtually impossible to kill. I did it. I killed a vine.

You may be wondering why I bothered to stop at the flower mart. Well, it was the 50% off sign that drew me in! By mid-June when the flowers are half-off I figure, what do I have to lose?

One plant I have come to love is the hosta. The hostas in our yard are so hearty that even I can’t kill them. I have even learned how to divide them every spring and transplant them to another area of my yard or give them away so that someone else can plant them in their yard.

I had to laugh this spring when a funny thing happened with my hostas. The day I was dividing them, I called a few people to ask if they wanted my extra plants. No one wanted them, so I had my son take them to the back yard and I forgot about them. A couple of weeks later a friend came over and complimented me on my hostas. She’s an avid gardener so I was feeling proud of myself as I told her how I divide them up each spring and usually have some left over.

She asked me what I did with the extra plants and I told her they were in the back yard. She wanted to look for them, and we found that my son had placed them on some cement blocks behind a shed. She said she’d take them and see if they’d grow in her yard. To my surprise, those forgotten hostas are now flourishing in her yard! It’s amazing so see those plants survive even when they’re transplanted weeks after being divided.

In my scripture reading today, I came across verses that talk about transplanting. Psalm 92:12-13 says,

“But the godly will flourish like palm trees
And grow strong like the cedars of Lebanon.
For they are transplanted to the LORD’s own house.
They flourish in the courts of our God.”

Just like those hostas survived and thrived in their new home, someday we will not only live but flourish in heaven. I love the part of those verses that says that the godly will be transplanted into the LORD’s house. Oh, how I want to be uprooted and re-planted at the home of the Master Gardener! My hope lies in the fact that because I know Jesus, someday I will live with God and flourish in His courts!

Maybe in heaven I will finally have a green thumb!

Prayer:  God, thank you for the hope of heaven. Thank you that we can live with that hope if we accept Your Son Jesus as our Savior. Thank you for the promise of eternal life with You. I can’t wait to be transplanted someday from this sinful earth to the glorious home You’re preparing in heaven for those who love and serve You.

No comments:

Post a Comment