Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Don’t Want to Slip

Scripture: 2 Chronicles 2:1-12

When I’m struggling in my life, I definitely depend on God. From that statement, you may think that I have it all together. On the contrary!

While it is true that I turn to God during tough times, it is also true that I tend to forget about God during the good times. I know that’s a horrible thing to write and an even worse thing to do.

I guess that’s why I related so well to 2 Chronicles 12:1, “But when (King) Rehoboam was firmly established and strong, he abandoned the Law of the LORD, and all Israel followed him in this sin.”

Well Mr. “R,” I can relate! I can empathize with the false sense of self-sufficiency that comes from thinking that the good things in your life come from you and not God. Been there!

When life is difficult, the most obvious place for me to turn is straight to God and His word. I cling to it for hope and sustenance.

But when life is going well, I don’t turn to God as dependently as I do when I’m struggling. During the good times, I can forget to do my devotions and I usually don’t pray without ceasing. Basically and in all brutal honesty, I let my relationship with God slip.

King Rehoboam and I have more in common than I’d like to admit, but there is a good ending to the king’s life. Scripture tells us that the king and the leaders of Israel humbled themselves and the LORD saw their change of heart. 2 Chronicles 12:12 says “Because Rehoboam humbled himself, the LORD’s anger was turned away and he did not destroy him completely.”

The verse ends with an incredibly hopefully statement, “There were still some good things in the land of Judah.” Thank the Lord! I’m going to claim that for my life, too! Even though I mess up sometimes when life seems to hit a plateau, I need to keep a strong relationship with the Lord. “There will still be good things in the land of Minnesota!”

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for loving me even though I fail you sometimes. I am sorry for not clinging to you all of the time! I want to thank you for everything in my life. When things are going well, I want to give You all the praise and glory! When things are tough, I want to trust You all the more. Thank you for being a God who forgives.

No comments:

Post a Comment