Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Ray on the Graph

Scripture: Romans 8:28-39

Both of my kids have been learning about graphing this year in school. I've been learning, or I should say re-learning math as I help them with their school work. Last week I was reminded that a "ray" is a portion of a line that has a starting point but no ending point. As an example, we thought of the sun's rays that start at the sun but could go on forever.

Don't worry, I'm not going to talk about math much longer, even though I'm sure you're riveted by this mathematical lesson!

Here's the cool part about how this math concept relates to our daily walk with Christ. I was imagining a graph where the starting point was on the horizontal axis and every point on the graph kept moving up and to the right. For example, it would be like plotting (3,0), (4,1), (5,2) and so on.

Picture this graph that starts at one point and continually goes up and to the right. It's a ray that goes on forever.

Today I was reminded that our walk with God should resemble the ray on this graph. Romans 8:29 says that we should be conformed to the likeness of Christ. In other words, we should daily strive to move up one dot on the graph. Today we're at spot (3,0) and tomorrow we should grow closer to Christ and move to spot (4,1).

Sometimes I beat myself up because I want to be holy as Christ is holy, but it seems like an overwhelming goal! As I picture this graph with my life as a ray, picturing this steady climb toward holiness gives me relief. I don't have to become like Christ in one day, but I am responsible to grow closer to God each day.

Thanks for bearing with this math analogy. It's funny how God can use anything - even math - to guide our thoughts and reveal His purpose for our lives.

Prayer: Lord, I want to grow closer to you each day. I want to be holy as you are holy. I want to take steps each day to become more like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment