Friday, February 17, 2012

Facts or Feelings?

Scripture: Ruth 1

Last night I spoke to a group of fourth and fifth grade girls about the book of Ruth. I shared that one of the reasons that I love this book is that it is full of emotions. Maybe I connect with Ruth because I am also full of emotions!

Last night I mentioned that as females, we experience many types of emotions. I was surprised to see most of the girls nodding their heads in agreement. Even girls as young as nine and ten years old are smart enough to realize the power that feelings and emotions play in their lives.

There are many positive aspects of emotions, like allowing us to experience joy and happiness. However, there are also negative aspects of emotions such as unrealistic feelings. These types of feeling are not based on facts! I know because I’ve experienced them first-hand. So did Naomi in the book of Ruth.

In Ruth chapter 1, Naomi experiences many situations in her life that would leave anyone discouraged. Because of a famine in her homeland, she is forced to move to a new land with her husband and two sons. While she is in this new land, her husband and sons die.

After many years have passed, the famine in her homeland is over and she decides to return. The bright spot in her life is her daughter-in-law Ruth has decided to uproot her own life and move with Naomi. However, in the midst of this blessing, Naomi seems focused on her negative feelings. Let’s take a look at how Naomi felt by reading her words in Ruth 1:20-21.

• “Don’t call me Naomi (Naomi means “pleasant”), call me Mara, because the Almighty has made my life very bitter.”
• “I went away full, but the LORD has brought me back empty.”
• “Why call me Naomi? The LORD has afflicted me; the Almighty has brought misfortune upon me.”

Sometimes when things don’t go as planned, we have a tendency to exaggerate. Have you ever done this? I have! It seems that this is what’s happening with Naomi. I’m not saying she doesn’t have every right to be frustrated with how her life has played out, but is she looking at the facts of her life or basing her feelings solely on her emotions?

Let’s do our own investigation to uncover the facts about Naomi’s situation.

• Naomi was feeling that her life was bitter. The fact was that she was back in her hometown with friends and family.
• Naomi was feeling that the LORD brought her back empty. The fact was that her loyal daughter-in-law Ruth was with her!
• Naomi was feeling that the LORD had afflicted her. The fact was that The LORD did not cause her husband and sons to die.

Let’s be honest. Naomi isn’t the only one to struggle with negative thoughts and feelings. We all struggle in this area from time to time. The important thing to do when you’re going through a tough time is to think realistically about your situation. Figure out if your struggle is based on facts or feelings.

Prayer: Lord, I don’t want to overreact and let my feelings and emotions get the better of me. You have given us a verse to help us set our mind on facts. Right now I want to pray Philippians 4:8. … “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” I want to live in truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment