Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Just Like Joshua

Have you ever found yourself in the process of starting something new? It may be a new job, a new baby, a new school year, a new volunteer role or some other new undertaking. What feelings are you experiencing? You may be dealing with self doubt, fear, excitement, anticipation and more!

That’s where I’m at right now in my life. There are three pretty big changes coming up for me. First, I’m starting to homeschool my kids in a couple of weeks. Second, I’m taking on a co-coordinator position for our church’s Wednesday night 4th and 5th grade girls group. Third, I’m starting the process of putting together a devotional book and getting it published.

If you’re in the process of starting a new adventure like me, then you can relate to the rollercoaster of emotions I experience. One day I’m bursting with hope and anticipation. The next day when my kids are fighting and I can’t find any homeschool curriculum, I’m filled with fear and doubt.

During these times of apprehension, I need to cling to the promises of God’s Word. He’s led me to these changes in my life, so I need to believe that He will bring me through them for His glory. I was reading Joshua 1:1-9, where God is speaking to Joshua after he takes over Moses’ job. Joshua had big shoes to fill and I’m guessing he felt a little inadequate. God had some powerful words for Joshua and these same words apply to us in new situations we face.

“Be strong and courageous.” (v. 6)

“Be strong and very courageous.” (v. 7)

“This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” (v. 9)


If God is calling you to enter a new chapter in your life, remember these verses and claim them. If you are following His will for your life, rest assured that He promises to be with you every step of the way.

Scripture: Joshua 1:1-9

Prayer: Dear Lord, I feel a little like Joshua right now. I am feeling ______________ about _______________ (situation). I know You were with Joshua after Moses died, and I am claiming the same words You spoke to Joshua for my own life. Today I am trusting in Your promise that You will be with me wherever I go. I will choose to be strong and courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment