Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why Do We Have Big Buts?

Moses had a big but. Actually, Moses had three big buts. Before this starts going downhill, let me explain what I mean.

In Exodus 3 God revealed Himself to Moses in the form of a burning bush. That in itself is an amazing feat, and yet Moses seemed unimpressed. When the Lord told him (through the fiery bush, remember) that He wanted Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, Moses basically replied, “But, God …”

His first “but” came when he asked God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” God patiently responded, “I will be with you.”

Moses had a second “but.” He asked God, “What should I do if the people ask me who sent me?” God definitively answered, “Tell them, I AM has sent me to you.” The Lord followed this statement with specific instructions and a well-laid plan for Moses to follow.

Even after the well-laid plan and God’s appearance through a burning bush, Moses had another “but.” He said to God, “But God, I’m not a good public speaker.”

This morning I nervously anticipated an appointment to speak at a MOPS group. I had a list of “buts” running through my mind before I left home. But I’m not good at speaking in public. But the women might think I’m boring, weird or even nuts (though this may actually be true). But I might not connect with them. Lots of big buts!

This morning the Lord showed me the same answer He gave Moses thousands of years ago – after his third “but.” “Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD? Now GO; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say” (Exodus 4:11-12).

Needless to say, I got in my car and left! How can I say no when God directly promises to meet my needs by helping me speak and telling me what to say? God wants to turn our “buts” into “You can do it through Me!”

Scripture: Exodus 3 & 4

Prayer: Lord, thank you for Your promises of support that are just as valid today as they were many years ago. You have proven that You love us and will always carry us through difficult situations. Thank you for being a God who is compassionate and patient with us. You are amazing and wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment