Friday, February 4, 2011

Boomerang

You’re probably familiar with the “flying tool” known as the boomerang. Right now you might be picturing it in your mind, since its “V” shape is very distinct. According to Wikipedia, the most common type is called a returning boomerang. It’s designed to travel on an elliptical path and return directly to its point of origin.

This week I’ve realized that the boomerang can accurately represent periods of time in our relationship with God. Right now some of my friends are in the midst of hard-hitting trials. Maybe you are experiencing an extremely difficult situation right now, or maybe you’re praying someone else through a tough time. You may feel like crying or even screaming out to God.

The writer of Psalm 74 did just that. Asaph (or possibly one of his descendants) was obviously frustrated as he openly shared his bold, honest feelings with God. He said, “(v.1) Why have you rejected us forever, O God?” Wow, can you believe He asked God that question? Don’t hold back, Asaph! Tell us how you really feel!

When I was in my early 20s, I was in a Bible study about prayer. The book taught us that we can lay it all on the line with God – even our most raw emotions – because He can take it. This doesn’t give us the right to be disrespectful or doubt God’s plan for our lives. However, it means we can come openly to God and share our deepest fears, desires, frustrations and heartaches. The God who created us can also handle our emotions.

Like throwing a boomerang, we can cast our burdens on God. Just as the boomerang always returns to its original point, we must also come back to praising God in the midst of our circumstances. We must cast our cares on Him and then return to praise.

In Psalm 75 Asaph says, “(v. 1) We give thanks to you, O God, we give thanks, for Your Name is near; men tell of Your wonderful deeds. (v. 9) As for me, I will declare this forever; I will sing praise to the God of Jacob.”

Scripture: Psalm 74 & 75

Prayer: I Peter 5:7 says to “Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.” Lord, I want to be honest with you about my feelings, realizing that you have the best plan in mind for my life. I don’t know why bad things happen, but I know that You can work all things together for good. During hard times, I will trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment