Monday, February 14, 2011

Good Gifts

Today is Valentine’s Day. Some people think this holiday is a big scheme by Hallmark, Target, Walmart and floral shops to swindle money out of the general public. Other people believe it’s the perfect time to show someone you love that you care for them.

Personally, I enjoy using Valentine’s Day to remind my family that they are special to me. After all, it’s the only day of the year when my son asks for pink, heart-shaped pancakes! My daughter loved the fluffy white bear I set in her room after she fell asleep and my husband enjoyed his red licorice with everyone at the office (at least that’s what he was supposed to do with it!).

It was very ironic that our family’s morning devotions included reading John 3:16. “For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” I believe the day God sent Jesus into the world is the true Valentine’s Day.

According to Wikipedia, February 14 is a day to celebrate love and affection between intimate (someone associated in close, personal relations) companions. Kids bring candy to pass out at school to show their friends they care about them. As adults, we give flowers, gifts or cards as a way of expressing our love and affection.

However, it doesn’t have to be Valentine’s Day for God to express His love toward us. He shows us He loves us every day of the year. “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!” (I John 3:1)

Jesus said to us in Matthew 22:37-39, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Take time today to love the Lord your God by spending time in His Word and in prayer. Then take extra time today to show love to someone around you. It can be a family member, a cashier at the gas station, an actual neighbor or anyone else that you encounter today. If you’re one of those people who thinks Valentine’s Day is a sham, just remember that kind words are free! You don’t even have to acknowledge “Heart Day.” You can simply tell someone to, “Have a good day.”

If you do celebrate this red/pink/heart-shaped/Cupid’s arrow shooting/candy conversation heart-eating/chocolate-loaded holiday, then “Happy Valentine’s Day” to you!

Scripture: I Corinthians 13

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for Your unconditional love toward me. While I was still a sinner, You sent your Son Jesus Christ to die for me. I want to follow Your greatest commandment, which is to love You with all of my heart, soul and mind. Please show me through Your Holy Spirit how I can love You completely. I also want to love my neighbors as myself. Please open my eyes to the needs of other hurting people so that I may show Your love to them in tangible ways. I love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment