Monday, December 6, 2010

Shades of Gray (Part 1: The Dilemma)

Last week I had a dilemma. The funny thing was that I didn’t even realize I had a dilemma until I read my devotions for the day. I was innocently reading in 1 Corinthians 10 when I stumbled upon some verses that I really needed to hear that day.

First I’ll list the verses and then I’ll explain the dilemma. Paul says, “Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is constructive. Nobody should seek his own good, but the good of others.”

Later in the chapter, Paul goes on to say, “Do not cause anyone to stumble … for I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.”

As I read those verses, I knew that God wanted me to abstain from doing something later that evening. I realized I was going to be faced with a situation at an office Christmas party where I could do something permissible, but not necessarily beneficial or constructive. I could choose to do something permissible and possibly cause someone else to stumble, or I could abstain with a clear conscience.

As I read the verses, it occurred to me that God placed those verses in front of me on a day when I was going to have to make a choice. I Corinthians 10 just happened to be the chapter I was reading that day, but it was no coincidence to God. He ordained those verses and scheduled them even before I knew I needed them.

I am going to write more about this topic, since I feel it’s an important subject. Shades of gray color our world, but God wants to guide us until we see in black and white. I have a lot to learn when it comes to this area, do you? Let’s study God’s Word together.

Scripture: I Corinthians 10

Prayer: Lord, prepare me for what you want to show me about shades of gray. I want to see things from Your point of view. I want others to draw closer to Christ when they are around me. I don’t want to confuse anyone by the choices I make in gray areas. I know You have a plan for my life and You want me to honor You in every decision I make. Please open my heart and mind as You show me the gray areas I need to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment