Friday, December 17, 2010

Letter from a Friend (Part 1)

Yesterday I received a letter from a friend. I met this woman more that 20 years ago when I was on a missions trip in high school. Over the past 20 years, we’ve kept in touch through cards and letters. However, lately we’ve lost touch. I was shocked to read her letter about how difficult this past year has been.

Over a year ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer and received chemotherapy. A few months later she found out she had Acute Leukemia. Again she underwent chemotherapy and has spent most of this year in the hospital.

I couldn’t believe she had gone through so many issues with her health recently. She admitted that she’s asked the question, “Why did this happen to me?” I’m sure I would ask the same question if I were in her situation! Her answer surprised me.

She said this experience has actually brought her closer to God. She said that through this ordeal, God has been her strength and that He’s been with her the whole time. She knows He has a purpose for her life and she wants to be faithful to Him through this time.

Her answer made me realize that when we encounter difficult situations in life we have two choices: we can blame God or we can cling to Him.

In my opinion, there is no stronger testimony on earth than watching someone cling to God during a trial. Anyone can praise God during the good times, but it takes true faith to give God control and trust Him during the storms of life.

Other people in my life are going through storms right now. I have friends with cancer, a friend with ALS, a friend who’s a single mom (not by choice), friends in financial crisis, and the list goes on. As I watch these people live their lives trusting in God, my own faith grows exponentially.

You see, they are living as Christ desires. They are exemplifying the passage in James chapter 1 that says, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking in anything.”

Perseverance and faith are two difficult words for me. They are easier said than done in my life! Watching how other Christ-followers live out these verses truly encourages me. There is so much more to say about this topic – more to come in part 2!

Scripture: James 1

Prayer: Lord, I want to praise You during the good times and the bad. I know I will encounter trials in my life, and I want to depend on You in the midst of them. Help me to live in such a way that others will see my life and glorify You. When I am experiencing a storm, I know that this testing of faith will ultimately develop perseverance. I want to be mature and complete in You!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Gretchen! I'm so glad Julie told me about this blog! I love blogs that encourage me in my walk with the Lord! I will be following this one!
    Blessings,
    Jennie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouraging words! May the Lord bless you this Christmas!

    ReplyDelete