Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pick Me!

My husband and I just got back from a company trip to Miami Beach, Florida. This was not my first choice for a “vacation location,” however, we were thankful for the chance get away.

After we arrived, we learned that our hotel housed one of the premier night clubs in the area. We are not “clubbers,” but one night we decided to hang out in the hotel lobby and watch the action from a distance.

What we saw was a world apart from the night life we’re used to in rural Minnesota! We were surrounded by micro-mini skirts, tight tops and perfectly made-up faces. They were all trying to be beautiful for one reason – to gain access to the club. We watched as they waited in line for a chance to get in. A chance to pay a $200 cover charge and $300 for drinks! I also heard that $800 would pay for the right to sit on a couch.

I think I paid less than $800 for the couch in my living room – and I get to keep it!

What made me even more sad than watching people spend crazy amounts of money on short-lived entertainment was watching how they got in to the club. “Scouts” would walk around the hotel lobby, searching for “beautiful people.” If someone caught their eye, the scout would tap them on the shoulder and they were “in.” He would lead them to the front of the line and into the club.

As I watched this scene unfold, a thought entered my mind. I envisioned God as one of those scouts walking around the room. I pictured Him searching the room, stopping next to me and then tapping me on the shoulder. He picked me! Then I pictured Him tapping everyone in the room, giving them all access to the greatest club in the world – heaven!

I’m so glad that God accepts me for who I am. He accepts you, too. He doesn’t care about what we look like or what we’ve done.

Jesus already paid our cover charge when He died on the cross. He’s tapped every one of us on the shoulder and offered us not just one night with Him, but a lifetime with Him. All we have to do is follow Him to the front of the line. The price has been paid.

Scripture: I Cor. 6:19-20, John 1:12

Prayer: Lord, thank you for accepting us for who we are and not for outward appearance. Thank you for looking at our hearts. Thank you for paying our debt when You sent Your Son to die on the cross. In the words of a beautiful hymn, “Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe, sin has left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow.”

Optional prayer to accept the gift of Jesus: Dear God, I believe in You and want to be Your child. I am sorry for my sins and want to ask Your forgiveness. I believe that You sent Your son Jesus to die on the cross for my sins. Please take control of my life, as I realize that You can do a better job than I can! I promise to get to know You better as I seek You each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment