Monday, November 22, 2010

Bless This Meal (Please!)

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on the many blessings in our lives. As I look forward to hosting Thanksgiving at my house, I am grateful for the little things that make Thanksgiving possible for someone like me. I’m willing to host Thanksgiving and try to cook dinner, but I really don’t have a clue about what I’m doing. So, despite my lack of cooking experience, I will give thanks for:

• Sam’s Club’s pre-made mashed potatoes and stuffing
• Plastic bags to self-baste the turkey
• Those little packets to help make gravy
• My mother-in-law who is making the pumpkin pies
• The gift of a Wii which will keep the kids entertained in the basement
• My dear friend who helped me make my grocery list
• A double oven (that reminds me – I should probably clean out the mess from our frozen pizzas)
• My health so that I can even make this attempt at Thanksgiving dinner
• Family and the grace they will need to eat the dinner set before them

While I am about as far from Martha Stewart or Rachael Ray as they come, somehow on Thanksgiving Day there will be dinner on the table and most if it will be edible. (Most likely it will be the food I buy from Sam’s!)

In all seriousness, I am truly thankful for the many blessings God has given me. I live in a country where I can vote for my government leaders and I can worship God without persecution. I have food to eat and a beautiful home. I have a wonderful family and amazing friends.

My inability to cook seems to pale in comparison to the many blessings in my life. When Thursday rolls around, I will remember the words from Psalm 92:2. I will proclaim God’s love in the morning and His faithfulness at night – no matter how the day (and the meal) turns out!

Scripture: Psalm 92

Prayer: Lord, it is good to praise You and to make music to Your name, O Most High, to proclaim Your love in the morning and Your faithfulness at night. I will sing for joy at the works of Your hands. How great are Your works, O Lord, how profound Your thoughts! Thank you for the many blessings in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment