Monday, March 14, 2011

My Mentor(s)

I don’t know everything. I like to think I do, but really I don’t. This fact of life became glaringly obvious after high school. That was when I first realized that I didn’t know it all.

As I grew older, I watched other people in my life become more intelligent. For example, my parents weren’t very smart when I was in high school, but when I went to college they got a lot more intelligent.

I have to wonder … did they really get smarter, or did I finally realize that I didn’t know everything?

No matter how it happened, the need for wise people in my life became evident. I desired a mentor to guide me along life’s path. I longed for someone to take me by the hand and lead me through life. Unfortunately, finding a mentor was easier said than done for me.

I’ve tried not to take it personally, but I have never found a mentor. I prayed about finding one. I even begged God for one. Once I took a big step of faith and asked someone to be my mentor, but it didn’t work out.

Before you feel too badly for me or wonder what on earth could be so wrong with me that no one would mentor me, let me share how God provided for this need in my life.

Instead of giving me that one mentor I prayed about, God gave me multiple mentors. There may not be one specific person devoted to me; yet God has blessed me with many people who guide me and encourage me. Right now I can think of friends in my life who inspire me, teach me, share Godly wisdom with me, listen to me and give me sound advice.

In my ignorance I asked God for a mentor, but He chose to answer my request more abundantly than I could have imagined. I am so thankful that God knows me better than I know myself. He is so much smarter than I am! (Duh!)

Scripture: Ecclesiastes 4:9-10, 12; Prov. 13:20; Prov. 11:30

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you that You place wise people in our lives to guide us. You know us better than we know ourselves, and we trust You to give us what we need … and who we need! Right now we want to thank You for the people in our lives who mentor us. Please continue to direct us to wise mentors who are seeking You.

No comments:

Post a Comment