Monday, September 27, 2010

Dating Again

Back in March, I started doing something I called “50 First Dates.” (Check the March archives for the “50 First Dates” entry.) I felt God calling me to spend the first part of my day with Him, so I decided to commit to spending 50 mornings in a row with Him. Those “dates” became some of the sweetest experiences I’ve ever had with God. I felt close so to Him, and I was really growing in my faith.

After the 50 days were done, I became lax on how diligently I was spending the first part of my day with God. I’d miss one here or there then I’d miss a couple days in a row. As time went on, I could tell my relationship with God was getting weaker. I wasn’t keeping Him as a priority in my day. I’d justify not spending time with Him in the morning by telling myself I’d spend time with Him later. Sometimes later never came.

A friend and I decided to hold each other accountable to spending time early in the morning with God. We called it giving God our “first and best” to God. However, we realized that the first moment we wake up in the morning may not actually be the “best” time to spend with God. (If you’ve read my blog then you’re acutely aware I am not a morning person!)

We decided that we would change it to giving the first part of the day to God, either first thing when we woke up or right after the kids left for school -- but no later than that!

Today was a new beginning. Of course I started after the kids went to school. I’m looking forward to 49 more dates with God. After that, I’ll start 50 more dates until I hit 365. I realized I can’t afford to stop the dates or even to postpone the dates. I want that close fellowship with my Savior.

After the kids left for school, I read James 4:8 which says, “Come near to God and He will come near to you.” It’s so simple. If we spend time with God, He will come near to us. I am clinging to that promise in James and I’m looking forward to what God wants to show me.

Scripture: James 4:8

Prayer: Lord, what are we missing on the days we choose not to spend time with You? Why would we choose not to spend time in close fellowship with the Creator of the universe? We are sorry for all of the times we don’t put You first in our day. Thank you for the promise in Your Word that if we come near to You, You will come near to us. Thank you for the gift of a relationship with You. We promise not to take it for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment