Wednesday, July 28, 2010

One of Those Days

Have you ever had “one of those days?” I recently experienced “one.” I was mad, frustrated and annoyed with everyone around me. You could say I was tightly wound. It’s a good thing I don’t own a dog, because I probably would’ve kicked him!

It was a day where it seemed I could do nothing right. My husband and I were arguing about minor miscommunications. My kids weren’t obeying. No one liked the supper I made, and I was beating myself up over not being a good enough friend. I was starting to feel less and less valuable as the minutes ticked on.

We ended up running errands as a family that night. As many of you know, kids and errands don’t always mix well. This time it was a lethal combination. To give an example, even a store clerk had to reprimand my kids. It was not my most shining moment as a parent. By the time we arrived home at 9:30, I was mentally exhausted.

My son, however, seemed to have a bounce in his step. There’s nothing more annoying to someone in a mental pity party than to see a cheerful person. The minute we got out of the car, he ran up to me and excitedly asked, “Mom, can I tell you something?”

I blankly stared at him with the I-can’t-believe-you-would-dare-to-be-cheerful-after-what-you-pulled-at-the-store-tonight look. He watched my face for a few seconds, assessing the situation. Then he carefully said, “I’ll just tell you about it tomorrow” and turned and ran in the house. Smart kid.

The rest of the evening didn’t improve much, so I was hoping the next day would be better. Since the kids were grounded, it turned out to be a productive day around home. We baked a triple batch of banana bread, cleaned the wood floors and even played a game of “Life” together.

We also went into the Community Center so they could burn off some energy in the pool and I could work out my previous frustrations in the fitness room. As I was cruising on the elliptical machine, the song “Who I am in You” by Addison Road played on my iPod.

Oh, you’re bringing me to life
And I’m finding who I am in You
Who I am in You
Oh, You’re changing me inside,
And I’m finding who I am in You,
Who I am in You


As I listened to the song, I realized that my self-imposed inadequacies fade when God looks at me. It’s who I am in Him that really matters. I had been focusing on what I thought were my failures instead of seeing myself as God sees me. As the words to that song played, I felt God’s love wash over me and the painful memories of the previous day faded in comparison.

Scripture verse: “From everlasting to everlasting,
The Lord’s love is with those who fear Him,
And His righteousness with their children’s children.”
Psalm 103:17


Prayer:
Lord, thank you for loving me in spite of my failures and inadequacy. You love me not just today or tomorrow; Your love is from everlasting to everlasting. Even when I am frustrated with myself and those around me, Your love is always there for me. I need to focus on who I am in You and cling to that beautiful thought. Thank you for extending Your righteousness to my children and grandchildren. I am blessed by Your love for me and for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment