Thursday, April 1, 2010

Easter Fortune Cookie

Have you ever sung a song over and over in your head and then later realized you’d been singing the wrong lyrics? It’s happened to me before, and it’s also happened to my daughter. Once, she was convinced Taylor Swift’s lyrics “Didn’t kiss him and I should have” were “Didn’t kiss him on the shoe head.” No matter what we said, we couldn’t convince her otherwise.

We sang a song at church last Sunday called “Lead Me to the Cross.” I’ll list some of the real lyrics and then I’ll explain how I was singing them wrong. The song begins:

Savior I come, quiet my soul, remember
Redemption’s hill, where Your blood was spilled
For my ransom
Everything I once held dear, I count it all as lost.

Lead me to the cross, where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees, Lord I lay me down
Bring me to my knees, I belong to You
Oh lead me, lead me to the cross.

I realized I had always sung the wrong lyrics to this song. I was singing, “lead me to the cross, where your blood poured out” instead of “where your love poured out.” Literally, Jesus’ blood poured out, but in reality, it was His love that was pouring out for us. As we sang that song, I pictured Jesus on the cross, blood spilling down, love flowing out. Love for a human race that he chose to die for, regardless of whether we loved Him back or not.

Philippians 2:7-11 explains how Jesus took the nature of a servant in human likeness, humbling Himself to die on a cross. He was the perfect sacrificial lamb, and He took on our sin when he died. Romans 6:23 says, “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” All we have to do is receive the gift He’s offering.

As I was thinking about Easter and the significance of celebrating this holiday, a funny thing happened. I was eating at my favorite Chinese restaurant with my mom and I opened my fortune cookie at the end of our meal. It read, “You will soon receive an unusual gift freely given. Accept!” If that isn’t a good fortune for Easter, I don’t know what is! Who knew the fortune in a cookie could hit the mark so perfectly?

What about you? Have you accepted? Will you accept? It’s a gift freely given, and it’s yours for the taking. Thank goodness the gift of eternal life God gave us by sending His Son is not just a fortune; it’s a reality.

If you want to know more, read John 19:16-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment