Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Don’t Miss Your Opportunity

It’s a little pathetic, but I’m still not over the Vikings’ NFC Championship loss. Yes, I know many weeks have passed since that game was played. Yes, I know that the Super Bowl has come and gone. I know I should be over the loss by now, but I’m not!

When I think about why I just can’t get over that game, I realize my frustration stems from one thing … missed opportunities. Fumbles, bad coaching and the disturbing interception by a veteran quarterback could all be considered missed opportunities. I’m sure the Vikings would like to have those plays back, but that’s not going to happen. They missed their opportunity.

The topic of missed opportunities came up in a conversation with some friends last week. We talked about how, at one time or another, we’d felt the Holy Spirit nudging us to do something and we didn’t obey. We talked about times when we felt called to send a card, bring a meal or pray over someone in need and we didn’t do it. We all felt like we had missed opportunities.

Personally, I am guilty of making excuses for not obeying the Spirit’s prompting. “I’m too tired.” “I’m a bad cook.” “I’m too busy.” “If I send a card to someone, they’ll think I’m weird.” The truth is that they probably already know I’m weird, so I may as well send a card and confirm it!

Recently I received an “opportunity” when I felt the Lord prompting me to call a friend from my Bible study class. I ended up calling her on the afternoon before one of our studies. When I asked her if she was enjoying the study, there was a long pause. She replied, “Actually, I just decided a few minutes ago that I wasn’t going to come to the study anymore. “ When I asked her why she had made that decision, she explained that she felt like she had too many questions and that everyone else seemed to know more than she did. I assured her that none of us had all the answers and we were all in the same boat – seeking to know God better. After we talked a little longer, she decided to continue attending the study.

I hung up the phone and immediately thanked God for His perfect timing. I was glad that He had prompted me to call at the exact time my friend had decided to stop attending the study. We both realized that God knew exactly when I should call her. This experience gave me deep feeling of God’s presence and it made me wonder why I don’t obey every time I hear His voice!

The best way we can recognize an opportunity is through reading God’s Word and listening to the Holy Spirit. When we feel His prompting, we have to go for it! Galatians 6:9 says, “Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” What opportunity is God sending your way this week?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that,Gretch. I know I can relate! I too am trying to hear God's voice and respond instead of making excuses! Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Gretch! I heard about that "connection" with your friend, and I was excited for you both. It is always a blessing to be used by God. What a confirmation to what you have been learning as you have been pressing into God! I enjoy reading your thoughts. Thanks for the glimpse into your world. Oh, and you really do need to get over the Vikings loss - it happens every year!

    ReplyDelete