Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Like to be Liked

I like being liked. Do you know what I mean? I wish I didn’t care what other people think of me, but I do. I am a firstborn, people-pleaser person. I don’t especially love this about myself, but it’s true.

The older I get, the more I realize that I can’t and won’t please everyone. But, that doesn’t stop me from trying! Ok, just a little humor there (very little?). Seriously, I am realizing that not everyone is going to like me all of the time, and I’m dealing with that fact.

This morning I was struggling in this area and feeling discouraged. Then I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me, quietly asking me, “Who are you trying to please?” I had to stop and think about that. Whose love and acceptance do I want?

When I try to please other people, my intentions are misguided. When I try to please God, I am heading in the right direction.

If I am following God’s will, then it really doesn’t matter if other people like me all of the time. This is easier said than done – especially if you’re a people pleaser person like me. God’s acceptance is what should be important to me. My security and sense of worth should come from Him, not others.

Sometimes when we follow God’s will for our lives, it is not easy. People may not agree with our choices. Following God’s plan is not always popular. We may disappoint people who do not understand our decisions.

Romans 8:31 says, “If God is for us, who can be against us?” His is the only opinion that matters.

I don’t like that I like to be liked. But, if I like to be liked by the One who first loved me, that is the key.

Scripture: Romans 8:28-39

Prayer: Lord, You know that as humans we struggle with acceptance. We want other people to think highly of us when the only One we should care about is You. We want to seek You daily and spend time with You so that our focus will be on You and not people. We know that when we seek You with all of our hearts, You will find us and meet us. Thank you for that promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment